First team: $60
Additional teams: $55
Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
Discount for providing competent staff: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
All discounts are subject to the discretion of tournament officials.
Registration form: http://tinyurl.com/OMAR2016Registration/
This tournament will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded for a correct answer given before a pre-determined point in the tossup.
- Unlike other NAQT/national tournaments, we will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each. Incorrect bonus parts shall immediately rebound.
- MSHSAA timing rules shall apply with the following exceptions:
- Teams shall receive only five seconds to answer a bonus. Moderators will be instructed to prompt after four seconds.
- Math calculation tossups and bonus shall receive ten seconds instead of 15.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 60-second and one-30 second timeout per game. Teams may substitute at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team. However, coaches may not confer with their players during a 30-second timeout.
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity and “B” teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
- As we are seeking to include teams that rarely attend NAQT-style tournaments, we will limit participation to players that did not compete at the 2015 HSNCT in Chicago, 2015 SSNCT in Atlanta, or 2015 PACE NSC in Reston, Virginia. Because of the roster restriction, we do not anticipate any bids for national tournaments being offered.
(Change from original announcement) Teams will be divided into two pools, sorted by prior experience with 20/20 format. Teams will play five games in the morning before lunch while teams are seeded into an afternoon championship and consolation bracket. All teams will have three games in the afternoon. If needed, playoff games will follow to determine the top two teams in each division. Again, this setup is dependent on the field size.
We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m. in the Cafenasium, with the first round set for at 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m. We are currently limiting the field to 24 teams. Additional teams will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur.