First team: $60
Additional teams: $55
Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
Discount for providing competent staff: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
All discounts are subject to the discretion of tournament officials.
The members of Truman State University’s Academic Competition Organization are proud to host Truman Bowl VII, and invite your team to participate in our tournament, scheduled for March 19th, 2016 on the campus of Truman State University in Kirksville. This tournament will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded for a correct answer given before a predetermined point in the tossup.
- Unlike other NAQT/national tournaments, we will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each. Incorrect bonus parts shall immediately rebound.
- MSHSAA timing rules shall apply with the following exceptions:
- Teams shall receive only five seconds to answer a bonus. Moderators will be instructed to prompt after four seconds.
- Math calculation tossups and bonus shall receive ten seconds instead of 15.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 60-second and one-30 second timeout per game. Teams may substitute at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team. However, coaches may not confer with their players during a 30-second timeout.
- Teams will be limited to seven players in a match; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity and “B” teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m. in Baldwin Hall 231, with the first round set for at 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m.
We have a hard cap of 12 teams; additional teams will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur.
Truman ACO members Nicole Montes and Houston Roberts will serve as tournament directors.
To register, please fill out this Google Form. If you have any questions, please use the form below to contact Nicole and Houston.